Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Blogging in 2008

For 2008 I am going to keep a weblog of my adventures in ultrarunning. This blog will include commentary about my running experiences, interesting pictures and videos, inspirational quotes and stories, and links to others' ultrarunning blogs and their stories. It is meant for my friends, family, and other ultrarunners.

For those not familiar with the sport, ultrarunning is defined as any running event longer than a marathon, or 26 miles, 385 yards. The typical distances are 50 kilometers (31.06 miles), 50 miles, 100 kilometers (61.12 miles), and 100 miles. These can be run on the road, track or trail. I run almost exclusively on trails, which include the additional factors of elevation gain and descent, as well as altitude, i.e., running at, say, 8,000 feet. There are also events based on time, such as 6, 12, 24, 48 and 72 hours. These are generally run on a closed circuit such as a track or loop course. There are other types of events too, in a myriad of configurations, all defined by exceeding the traditional marathon distance. David Blaikie wrote a wonderful article that goes into more depth if you're interested.

My intent is to keep my blog light-hearted, eclectic and informative. If you feel like commenting on a post, please do. I'd appreciate the feedback, questions or suggestions.

No comments: